There is nothing as satisfying as having a freshly tilled garden. Not unless your garden tiller isn’t suitable for the job. Of course, tilling with the wrong garden tiller causes more harm than good – you can never achieve your farming goals, not at all. Overall, farming with the wrong tool can lead to frustration, wastage of time, and money altogether. But it doesn’t have to happen that way. With the best garden tiller, you can flawlessly enjoy the fruits of your labor.
Therefore, you’re looking for the best recommendation regarding these units, hold on, we’ve got your back. We’re going to offer you helpful information that you’ll require before spending your money. We’ve reviewed hundreds of garden tillers in the market, but out of the research, we managed to come up with a comprehensive list of the top 10 best tillers you may wish to consider in 2020. Plus a buyer’s guide will keep you on track as you initiate your shopping process. That said, let’s now get deeper into this review.
- #1. Sun Joe 2.0 AMP TJW24C 24V Cordless Telescoping Power Cultivator/Weeder
- #2. EARTHQUAKE Easy to Carry Lightweight 31452 MAC Powerful 33cc Tiller Cultivator
- #3. ATOM ATTILH6 13'' Extra-Wide Tines Ergonomic Self-Sharpening 6-Tine Tiller/Cultivator
- #4. Sun Joe 16'' TJ603E 12 AMP 3-Position Wheel Adjustment Electric Tiller & Cultivator
- #5. Earthwise Corded TC70001 11'' 8.5 AMP Soft Ergonomic Electric Tiller/Cultivator
- #6. TAZZ 33CC 35351 Easy to Control Powerful Viper Mini Cultivator Tiller (Green)
- #7. AAVIX Dual Four-8'' Blade Steel Tines 13'' 10 AMP Electric Tiller/Cultivator (Black/Blue)
- #8. Mantis Quiet Instant Starting 540W Motor Pack of One Electric Tiller (Red & Black)
- #9. Greenworks 27072 Powerful 8 AMP Motor 10-Inch Reliable Corded Tiller
- #10. EARTHQUAKE 149CC 4-Cycle Large Wheels Heavy-Duty Front Tine Tiller (Red)
- Factors to Consider When Purchasing the Best Tiller
#1. Sun Joe 2.0 AMP TJW24C 24V Cordless Telescoping Power Cultivator/Weeder
Sun Joe TJW24C is an ideal tiller that eliminates back strains while giving you the best tilling experience. It uses the power from lithium-ion batteries of 24 volts. This powers up Sun Joe TJW24C tiller giving it a running power that will last for 60 minutes before the need for recharging. Additionally, there will be no need for oil, tune-ups, or gases. This tiller effortlessly cultivates your land by chopping all the weeds and mixes them properly with the soil. This, in turn, will allow easy penetration of water and air in the soil. Sufficient moisture and air in the soil will promote the healthy development of roots and the whole plant.
- Designed with ten tines that easily mix any soil type
- Lightweight reduces strain and pain while using it
- Has a maximum run-time of 60 minutes
- Ideal for mixing soil or weeding
- Tines are made of durable steel
#2. EARTHQUAKE Easy to Carry Lightweight 31452 MAC Powerful 33cc Tiller Cultivator
For efficient soil aeration, mixing or weeding choose the Earthquake Mac. It will provide all the solutions you need for land tillage. The design has a lightweight that lessens the burden of storage and transportation. Also, the stances help in the upright parking of the tiller when you are not using it. Moreover, the stances make it easy to store Earthquake Mac compactly. The handlebar design helps you to easily grip and control the tiller. This helps you to adequately remove weeds and reduces the chances of removing plants instead. Furthermore, the sturdy handlebar has been made in such a way that it reduces the vibration of the machine.
- U-turn design of the handlebar eliminates too much vibration
- Has a stable stance for parking when not in use
- Weighs 24 pounds making it easy to transport
- Uses overhand control mechanism
- Uses gear drive for transmissions
#3. ATOM ATTILH6 13'' Extra-Wide Tines Ergonomic Self-Sharpening 6-Tine Tiller/Cultivator
This is a rotary tiller with the most striking features and efficiency in performance. It is designed to offer comfortable tilling experiences. Also, it makes it very easy to be operated by those who desire to go gardening. Ball bearings driving the tines are meant for heavy-duty. They give the tines an optimum torque thus easily turns the soil. It has 6 extra-large tines which measure 13 inches wide. They are larger than other standard tines that measure 9 inches wide. Wheels give room for 6 levels of adjustments based on the soil type. Additionally, these tines will automatically self-sharpen.
- Up to 6 levels of wheel adjustment for varied soil depths
- Tines measuring 4 inches more than the standard 9″
- Comfortable design that eliminates back strain
- Tines sharpen themselves automatically
- Last longer than other brands
#4. Sun Joe 16'' TJ603E 12 AMP 3-Position Wheel Adjustment Electric Tiller & Cultivator
This brand of electric tilling machine is powerful and up to the task. It has a strong motor using 12 Amperes and uses 12 volts. Can dig to depths of 8 inches and 16 inches wide. The tines are made of still and fixed at an angle for optimum performance and durability. Handlebars are designed in such a way that it can be folded. Folding mechanism makes the Sun Joe TJ603E very convenient in terms of transportation and storage. Besides, the wheel can be adjusted into three levels depending on the type of ground and the soil to be cultivated.
- Tines slices the soil at a rate of 340 revolutions per minute
- Driven by a very powerful motor of 12 Amp
- Features adjustable wheel levels
- Foldable handle for easy storage
- Durable tines made of steel
#5. Earthwise Corded TC70001 11'' 8.5 AMP Soft Ergonomic Electric Tiller/Cultivator
Earthwise TC70001 electric tiller is built with a motor that operates using 8.5 Amperes to provide efficient power. This gives the electric tiller a sufficient run-time and increased durability. It is fitted with four durable tines made of steel. The tines can dig up to 8 inches deep and 11 inches wide. This electric tilling machine is suitable for small to medium-sized lands and flower gardens. Apart from using it for cultivation, it can also serve well at the weeding. The lightweight design of this machine makes it easy to transport, operate, or store. Furthermore, there is an attachment of the lever switch for starting/switching of the tiller.
- Flip down wheels eases transportation and how to operate it
- Designed with four blades for maximum efficiency
- The slim design makes its storage more convenient
- Has a hook for retaining power cord
- It’s lightweight and slim
#6. TAZZ 33CC 35351 Easy to Control Powerful Viper Mini Cultivator Tiller (Green)
TAZZ tiller is well equipped with a wide range of features to meet all your tilling needs. It is equipped with a 33cc engine that is so powerful to turn over the soil on your farm or garden. The onboard wheels make it easier to maneuver around your farm so easily for a well-tilled farm. This unit has a lightweight design making it easier to carry from one place to another. Moreover, the overhand controls allow you to zoom around your garden to get rid of weeds in between the rows. It comes with a quart of oil and clear instructions that make it easier for you to assemble this whole unit.
- More convenient because it can work on all types of pre-tilled earth
- Can be used for weeding, aeration and mixing fertilizers
- Easy to start and operate with the overhand controls
- Smaller in size thus occupies less storage space
#7. AAVIX Dual Four-8'' Blade Steel Tines 13'' 10 AMP Electric Tiller/Cultivator (Black/Blue)
Whether you are cultivating on a normal land or rocky soil, Aavix tiller offers you the best tilling results. It has a powerful motor that powers the blades to allow you to loosen the hardest soil on your farm. With the fast tine speed, you can dig through the toughest soil without getting stuck at any point. The handle is ergonomically designed to ensure a comfortable and firmer grip while tilling. You can easily lower or raise the wheels without using any tools to suit your tilling operations. Furthermore, you can easily till hard clay by pulling this tiller backward. This model only weighs 23.1 pounds making it more portable.
- Made sturdy to ensure safe and stable tilling operations
- The wheels are well built making it easier to maneuver
- Requires little assembly that takes some few minutes
- Designed from high-quality materials that last long
#8. Mantis Quiet Instant Starting 540W Motor Pack of One Electric Tiller (Red & Black)
Are you looking for a more portable tiller? Look no further than Mantis tiller. This tilling equipment weighs only 21 pounds and has a foldable design making it easier to transport it from one place to another. The 540-watt motor has three variable speeds to allow you to till your land as you desire. It operates quietly for comfortable operations free from any weird sounds or disturbances. With the curvy tines, you can till at a depth of up to 10 inches for different planting depths. Additionally, the handle is well designed to ensure a firmer grip and comfortable operations free from fatigue.
- Has a compact design thus occupies less storage space
- The motor starts instantly to keep you tilling quickly
- You can turn the tines around for a shallow cultivation
- Doesn’t release any emission or carbon footprints
#9. Greenworks 27072 Powerful 8 AMP Motor 10-Inch Reliable Corded Tiller
When it is all about a lightweight tiller then no brand can outshine this model from Greenworks. This unit only weighs 29.3 pounds, making it easier for you to carry it from one place to another without feeling its weight. With a powerful 8 amp motor, you are assured of reliable tilling results. The forward rotating tines allow you to dig deeper into the ground for optimal performance. You can easily adjust the tilling width from 8.25 inches to 10 inches to suit different tiling needs. Moreover, you can adjust the tilling depth by 5 inches to allow you to dig to the right planting depth.
- Doesn’t require any extra tools thus easier to assemble
- Easier to store and transport with the foldable handle
- More lightweight compared to Earthquake model
- Has a push-button start that is easier to operate
#10. EARTHQUAKE 149CC 4-Cycle Large Wheels Heavy-Duty Front Tine Tiller (Red)
If you are looking for a more versatile tiller, this brand from an earthquake becomes an ideal choice in the market. It has a powerful Kohler engine that assures optimal performance on different types of land. With the flip outcast system and long wheel-to-tine base, you are assured of ideal weight distribution to keep this whole unit stable at all times. This unit is designed from high-grade bronze, steel and iron components that are well known for their durability. It is easier to turn at the end of the row or tunnel because it has larger wheels that flip in and out using a two-position tail system.
- Has removable tines that allow you to till different widths
- The wheels can be folded inside the engine for transport
- It’s well built to ensure that it is strong and lasts longer
- Easy to start the engine to allow you till your land
- Constructed from high-grade steel and bronze
Factors to Consider When Purchasing the Best Tiller
The Size of your Garden
The first factor to put into account when shopping for the best tiller is the size of your lawn and garden. If it’s a small area, then a cultivator or a front liner tiller will do the job well. In other cases, you might find that some manual tiller can provide you with incomparable performance. On the other hand, if you’re tilling a large parcel of land or estate, you may want to pursue a rear-tine trailer tiller. However, for most home gardeners, you can try the products listed in our reviews above.
Well, your budget is a big deal when it comes to choosing the best tiller. Even though a tiller isn’t much expensive, they tend to vary in price depending on the manufacturer. And the price of the tiller shouldn’t necessarily point out its quality. As much as possible, try sticking to your budget to avoid spending what you don’t have. Besides, budgeted items will provide you with a clear invoice on how you spend your money occasionally.
The Type of Soil
The other most important aspect to keep an eye on when shopping for the best tiller is the type of soil. For instance, if you’ve quality soil in your garden or lawn, then with a standard front-line tiller, all your needs are sorted. But for those gardeners with sandy and rocky soil in their farms, they may need the use of a manual tiller to break the soil before planting.
Of course, as a gardener, you need a tiller that is easy to use. That means you should consider the weight of the machine before picking out one. If you purchase a heavy tiller, you’ll face operator fatigue in your arms. Having a lightweight machine is easy to move and offers you smooth movement and convenient storage.
Next time when you need to work on your garden or lawn, you should bring along the best garden tiller. With a tiller, your lawn and garden will thrive in the next growing season. If you’re unable to make the right choice on your own, read through this article and you’ll never have any other difficulty. The models we’ve reviewed come from leading brands in the market, therefore, you shouldn’t dread choosing one from the list.